Saat saya mencari bahan-bahan untuk menyelesaikan tugas akhir kuliah dan mempersiapkan bahan-bahan untuk diajarkan mulai pekan depan, saya tidak sengaja singgah di discovery channel education. Setelah menjelajah beberapa saat sambil melakukan multi-tasking saya menemukan beberapa hal-hal penting yang bisa diadaptasi dalam pelajaran fisika mulai kelas X hingga kelas XII.
Antara lain adalah ukuran-ukuran berikut yang akan kita pergunakan saat mempelajari besaran dan satuan (kelas X) dan juga gravitasi (kelas XI), juga materi pelajaran dulu di kelas XII (tata surya dan jagat raya) :
Terutama untuk pelajaran kita mengenai gerak rotasi dan gravitasi ada kaitannya dengan materi berikut : http://school.discoveryeducation.com/lessonplans/activities/animatingmotion/
Pelajaran ini berkaitan dengan gerak periodik, yang mana bahan ini dipelajari setelah mempelajari gravitasi dan http://school.discoveryeducation.com/lessonplans/activities/pendulums/
Soalan tentang perbandingan pengukuran. Pergunakan ukuran-ukuran berikut untuk menyatakan atau menggambarkan ukuran-ukuran astronomis.
* A penny is about ¾ inch in diameter.
* Earth is 8,000 miles across.
* The sun has a diameter of 861,000 miles.
* One mile equals 5,280 feet.
* The average distance from Earth to the sun is 93 million miles.
* A basketball is roughly 12 inches in diameter.
* Neptune is 30 AU from the sun, or 2.79 billion miles.
* One light-year is 6 trillion miles.
* The nearest star, Proxima Centauri, is 4.2 light-years away.
* The sun’s distance from the center of the Milky Way is about 30,000 light-years.
* A football field is 100 yards (300 feet) long.
* The Milky Way is about 100,000 light-years across.
* The distance to the Andromeda galaxy is 2.2 × 106light-years.
* The farthest known galaxy is 13 billion light-years away.
Discussion Questions :
1. Parallax is the apparent change in position of an object when it’s viewed from two different places. Astronomers use this phenomenon to measure the distances to some stars. They assume that the stars are fixed, and as the Earth moves in orbit they take measurements of the apparent shift in position. Then they calculate the distance based on a trigonometric relationship between the parallax angle and the “baseline” (the radius of Earth’s orbit). Considering that the more distant an object is, the smaller the angle it will make, why would parallax measurements be better suited for stars than for galaxies?
2. What is the value of using exponents? Give some examples of when they are commonly used.(Exponents are used to express and calculate large numbers. For example, if you needed to multiply 1,000,000,000,000,000 by 1,000,000,000, instead of dealing with all those zeros, you could write the equation as 1015X 109and add the exponents to get the answer, 1024. Exponents are also used in business to express large sums of money and in science to express pH levels, the magnitude of earthquakes, and the brightness of stars.)
3. Vast distances in space are often measured in light-years. A light-year is the distance that light travels in one year, or about 6 trillion miles. Altair, a star in the constellation Aquila, is 16.6 light-years away, which means that the light we see now from that star left its surface 16 years and 219 days ago. Describe what was happening in the world when the light we are seeing from Altair first left that star. How far away is Altair in miles?
4. Explain why it would be impossible for scientists to measure stellar distances that are accurate to within a few feet. Why is it not critical to attain such accuracy when dealing with astronomical distances?
5. Does knowing how to use a scale on a map help you understand how to use scale to measure distances in the universe? How are they similar? How are they different?
6. Describe how you could measure the height of a mountain without having to climb it. (Hint: Imagine that you’re standing 10 miles from the base of the mountain.)
Sumber : http://www.discoveryeducation.com/teachers/free-lesson-plans/astronomical-scales.cfm
Tentang Warna dan spektrum silakan menjelajah langsung ke bagian ini http://www.discoveryeducation.com/teachers/free-lesson-plans/the-color-spectrum-how-does-it-work.cfm
Tentang kekekalan energi (USaha dan Energi) silakan menjelajah ke alamat ini:
Tentang teori atom (kelas XII) : http://www.discoveryeducation.com/teachers/free-lesson-plans/elements-of-physics-matter.cfm
Tentang struktur atom (kelas XII) http://www.discoveryeducation.com/teachers/free-lesson-plans/elements-of-chemistry-atoms-the-building-blocks-of-matter.cfm
Tentang penerbangan (berkaitan dengan fluida bergerak dan Hukum Bernoulli) : http://www.discoveryeducation.com/teachers/free-lesson-plans/flight.cfm